The Townsend: Eco-Friendly Hotel in Metro Detroit
The Townsend Hotel continues to increase the number of environmentally friendly programs to our best practices. As a green hotel, our reputation for outstanding service and hospitality extends not only to our guests, but also to the environment. We will continue to take action to improve our results today to positively affect the environment tomorrow.
Environmental Program Details
Certification: Green Leader from Green Lodging Michigan
- Our vendors use local produce when available and up to our standards.
- We offer reusable plates, utensils, napkins, glasses, coasters, newspapers and hair dryer bags
- We offer paperless check-out.
- We partner with other environmentally friendly organizations such as Gilchrist & Soames and Fiji.
- Our letter head and envelopes are made of 30% recycled paper.
- We have Evernue Mattresses in 20% of our rooms. Evernue Mattresses only require the (removable/washable) top to be replaced after 6 years and the box springs are made of 100% recycled materials.
- Hotel guest pens made from bio-degradable materials.
- Blankets made of recyclable materials are now available for guests.
- All documents are printed using environmentally safe ink in printers and copiers.
Organic Foods and Beverages:
- Organic coffee, teas and juices are offered and our produce vendors use earth friendly growing practices.
- We work hard to minimize the number of deliveries per week from our vendors.
- Reduce consumption of 70,000 water bottles during turn down service by offering other options.
- Reduce consumption of 40,000 ice bags by changing turn down practices.
- Reduce fresh flower arrangements by ordering only for occupied rooms.
- Linen/towel reuse program - Guests are given the option not to have their bedroom and bathroom linen and towels washed daily thereby reducing energy, water and detergent consumption.
- Reuse discarded terry clothes by using as housekeepers rags.
- We offer reusable plates, utensils, napkins, glasses, coasters, newspaper and hair dryer bags.
- The hotel currently has recycling programs for paper, bottles, and cans and an ongoing search for more and better ways to recycle.
- Florescent light bulbs are used throughout the hotel and parking garage.
- Parking garage exhaust fans use sensors to run only when needed, conserving energy.
- Water heater reduced to lowest possible setting that remains efficient for producing hot water.
- Lights, air conditioning and drapes are closed in all unoccupied rooms to conserve energy.
- All of the showerheads, faucets and most of the commodes have been updated with low flow systems.
- Waterless urinals in men's restrooms.
- We donate lightly used items from the rooms to local charities to benefit those in need and reduce the use of landfills.
- Eco-friendly cleaning supplies that meet our quality standards are used in all guest rooms and throughout the public areas of the hotel.
- Bio-degradable trash bags.
We use best practices to expand our environmental efforts and continue to provide the highest level of service. Of all the eco-friendly hotels in Detroit, the Townsend provides the most exquisite accommodations and amenities for an unmatched experience.
Printer-friendly version of The Townsend Hotel's Eco-Friendly practices.
Back to Top >